Sunday, December 23, 2012

It's time to experience Equine Ski Joring


It’s time for me to experience equine ski joring – really experience it.

For those of you who read Western Horseman, you will know that the featured photo for the January 2013 issue isof ski joring. A week or so ago, I stood at the library magazine rack and just stared at it. The snow flying, the hair blowing back, the legs blurring and … No one knows about ski joring and yet here again- the second time in less than a full year – it’s being featured in WH. If WH, a well established and well read publication, is publishing articles and photos about it, then maybe it's on the rise or someone at WH is pushing for it's recognition and trying to make it grow. I’ll go for the first option. I think it’s gaining popularity and notoriety.

A couple of months ago, for an equine ski joring article I wrote on speculation (it may or may not be printed next month*), I dug deeper into my search for equine ski joring in my area. This time I extended my search to any in the Pacific Northwest; I found three.

  1. Teton Valley Ski Joring in Victor, ID -- The 2013 Great Snow Fest - January 18-21, 2013
  1. Sandpoint Ski Joring in Sandpoint, ID -- February 16 -17, 2013
  1. Wood River Extreme Ski-joring in Bellevue, ID - TBA


       All three sound really exciting and I hope to make it to at least one. As you can see, they are all in Idaho. This means a bit of a road trip for me, but I think it will be worth the effort and gas. 

*The magazine for which I speculatively wrote the article publishes the second week of the month. If it isn’t published then, I will post it here.* 

No comments:

Post a Comment